Weight Loss Age Fifty Plus

My weight loss story

...can you identify?

I was fairly healthy and thin when I was younger. I'm tall, 5'8+1/2, and my normal weight was 145. Any less than that, and people complained that I looked emaciated.

I put on weight during my late twenties due to pregnancy, but took it off in my early thirties. I was thin for about five years and then had two more babies. That was the beginning of the end for my gorgeous slender figure. I tried doing aerobics and lost the pregnancy weight and got into great shape, but with the frustrations of raising two particularly challenging young children (on my own - I ended up a single mom) I had a hard time continuing my exercise fanaticism.

Then there was a court case and a lot of misery concerning two of my older children. I lost custody of them. (I still had my oldest child, and my two youngest to raise.) Traumatized, I started putting on weight at the rate of about ten pounds per month in my early forties. I got up to 230 and slowed down.

About that time I visited a doctor who proclaimed that my blood pressure was too high. He put me on Atenolol. Later a nurse-practitioner added a second medication, Adalat. I took those medications for about fifteen years - until I finally realized that Atenolol was keeping me from being able to lose weight effectively. It lowers the heart rate to such an extent that aerobic exercises don't work to help control weight gain.

In 2001 I also had a hysterectomy. The doctor who did that said I had hypothroid disorder - which contributes greatly to weight gain. Hyperthyroidism is often caused by fluoridated water. I started taking synthroid (Levoxyl, Levothyroxine) for that. So there I was on three medications, and struggling to lose weight.

In 2003 I made a valiant attempt and got down to 210 before I hit a plateau and couldn't make any progress. Frustrated, I gave up. In 2006 I dropped down to 202, but again hit a plateau. Over the next few years I again gained weight. So now I'm trying to lose weight, yet again.

Helpful Weight Loss Links

MyPyramid.gov - United States Department of Agriculture
Helpful nutrition information, online calculators, games, etc.
FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal
This is what I use to track my calories. You can track and analyze your nutrition, weight loss, diet and fitness over the web. It's free and private!
Choosing a Safe and Successful Weight-Loss Program
Another government sponsored site with weight loss information.
Daily Caloric Expenditure
Use this online tool to find out how many calories you need to maintain your weight. By doing this you'll be able to plan a diet that will provide fewer calories and help you lose weight.
LIVESTRONG.COM - Health, Fitness, Lifestyle LIVESTRONG.COM
Diet and weight loss information, a food diary, and much more.
Calories Burned Calculator
How many calories did you burn...?
BMI Calculator
Figure out your Body Mass Index.
Healthy Weight Calculator
How much should you weigh?
How much water should you drink?
Calculate how much water you should drink based on things like your weight and lifestyle.
SparkPeople
SparkPeople.com is a free online diet and healthy living community with over 3 million members who provide support and motivation to each other. Create a free account and get the support you need to lose weight the healthy way.
Calorie Counter
Calculate your calorie goal.
3 Fat Chicks on a Diet!
Weight loss support, forums, blogs, articles and more. Created in 1997, 3FC is one of the best known and supported weight loss forums on the internet! This is where I go for weight loss support - I participate on the 50+ section of the message board and have a blog there.

My secret weapon

...a self-hypnosis and subliminal weight loss recording.


I'm a BIG fan of Barrie Konicov's hypnosis and subliminal recordings. This angel of a hypnotherapist helped me quit smoking in 1992, helped me gain self-confidence, and helped me become an avid novelist with his creative writing recording.

Now I'm turning to him for help with weight loss.

You can find all his recordings by clicking over there on his image...

But first, let me assure you I truly believe his recording can help me lose weight. I've been listening to it every day for a while now. I listen to the self-hypnosis recording while I'm falling asleep at night, and listen to the subliminal recording while I'm working on the computer, writing, exercising, or doing housework.

Important note: I recommend the original subliminal music over the baroque, but you can click on the samples and listen for yourself. He sells the recordings as MP3s, casettes, or CDs.

I've noticed that since I started this program I'm eating less and not feeling so hungry constantly. If I do start feeling compulsively hungry, I listen to the subliminal, drink a cup of peppermint or camomile tea (depending on the time of day) and pretty soon I have my food cravings under control again.

These recordings really work if you allow them to and make a commitment to work with the program. The MP3 download costs only $19.95, a super reasonable price, I believe. I also bought the "Lower Blood Pressure" recording recently. I'm more than 100% satisfied and hope you will be too.

Weight loss affirmation mug

...affirmations from Barrie Konicov's weight loss recording.


This cup reminds me of two of my favorite affirmations from Barrie Konicov's weight loss recording (see above) ... the sayings I used are "Losing weight and feeling great," and "Eating less and enjoying it more."

Seriously... buy Barrie Konicov's weight loss recording. I recommend the original subliminal music over the baroque. I don't think you'll regret taking this step if you really want to lose weight.

So... here's what I'm eating...

...my diet.

Like I mentioned at the top of the page, I'm a vegetarian, and my diet is simple. Here are some of the foods I commonly eat:

1. Vegetable soup - I make this about once weekly from celery, mushrooms, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, garlic, onions, potatoes, and whatever else looks good at the time. I add a tiny bit of salt, some pepper, parsley, and oregano. When I serve it I sprinkle it with garlic powder, parmesan cheese, and pepper.

2. Quesadillas made with whole wheat tortillas and sharp cheddar cheese. Hot sauce on the side.

3. Occasionally I add refried beans to the quesadilla and call it a burrito.

4. Fruit salad of oranges and bananas.

5. Vanilla organic yogurt with toppings of organic berry juice or unsweetened applesauce with cinnamon.

6. Unsweetened applesauce.

7. Peanut butter with celery.

8. Sweet Nothings organic juice bars. Fudge flavored (actually carob) - only 100 calories each, but pricey.

9. Small servings of unsalted roasted peanuts (only 8 peanuts at a time as there's a high calorie pricetag, but that's enough to stop cravings.)

10. Raisins

11. Air-popped popcorn

12. Oatmeal with wheat bran, wheat germ, flax seed meal, and applesauce as sweetener

13. LOTS of pure springwater...

Well, that's about it. I also drink peppermint tea in the morning and camomile tea at night. I like to keep my diet simple and rarely vary things.

My exercise routine

...daily exercise is an important part of my weight loss strategy.

I've been working on increasing the time I spend on my recumbent exercise bike. There are no local gyms so that's not an option for me.
I hope that you are doing well! Just wanted to tell you about this cool new video that I just watched from my new friend and respected colleague, Dr Charles. In it, he reveals a very unusual tip for a flatter belly in just 3 to 10 days. I watched it, thought it was brilliant, and figured you might find it very helpful too.
I hope that this was short and sweet enough for ya. Have an amazing day!!
. Right now I'm cycling thirty minutes daily.

I also take walks - about 45 minutes several times each week... but I want to make that a daily routine also. I also love walking with Leslie Sansone videos!

I'm starting something new this year: Yoga! Well, of course this isn't new, but I haven't done any yoga for many years so it is sorta new to me. I'm using a video for training. (see below)

The last thing I'm doing for exercise is weight lifting. I'm using 5lb hand weights and strengthening my arms, shoulders, and upper back. Muscle burns more calories so development of muscle is a primary weight loss technique that in my opinion should not be ignored.

I've heard it said that the best exercise is one that you enjoy. Of all these, I love my walks and walking videos the best!


  • Weight Loss Articles - Find Weight Loss Related Articles on ...

    www.articlesbase.com Sports and Fitness

    Find Weight Loss articles at ArticlesBase.com a free articles directory. Submit your articles for free distribution and find Weight Loss content for your website ...


  • Weight loss - MayoClinic.com - Mayo Clinic

    www.mayoclinic.com Home Healthy Lifestyle

    Mar 19, 2011 Weight-loss basics everything from diet and exercise to weight-loss drugs and surgery.


  • Lose weight - Live Well - NHS Choices

    www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/Loseweight/Pages/Loseweighthome.aspx

    How to lose weight the healthy way. Find weight loss resources on BMI, diet, exercise, body shape and how your GP can help.


  • Weight loss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_loss

    Weight loss, in the context of medicine, health or physical fitness, is a reduction of the total body mass, due to a mean loss of fluid, body fat or adipose tissue ...


  • Weight Loss - How To Information eHow

    www.ehow.com Health Diet & Nutrition

    Don't just sit there scratching your head, find useful info on Weight Loss on eHow. Get essential tips and learn more about everything from Can You Still Lose Weight ...


  • Weight Loss: Diet & Exercise Tips to Reduce Belly Fat, Lose Weight ...

    www.sharecare.com Topics

    You know that to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in. There are only two ways to do this: reduce the number of calories you take in or ...


  • 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community - Powered by

    www.3fatchicks.com/forum

    Weight loss support forum for all diets including South Beach Diet, Weight Watchers, Atkins, Low Fat, all Low Carb diets, includes menu plans, recipes, more, all free!


  • Weight Loss Surgery Resources for Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy,

    www.obesityhelp.comVertical Sleeve RNY Forums Before & After Gallery 1 Unread Message

    Gastric Bypass, LAP-BAND System, DS and Other Surgical and Non-Surgical Weight Loss Options.


  • Weight Loss & Diet Pills Discussion - www.DietBlogTalk.com

    www.dietblogtalk.com

    Discussions on Obesity and Weight Related topics such as Diet Pills, Diet Plans, Exercise, Books. Read what users are saying about popular Diet & Weight Loss


  • Weight Loss Pills Weight Loss Diets, Tips, Methods, Advice

    www.weightlosswand.com

    We reveal weight loss pills, diets, tips, and advice on choosing the right weight loss products. See our top recommendations before you buy!

2 comments:

doomble said...

thanks your guide about weight loss

can you guide me about how to lose arm fat, and body fatbody fat?

doomble said...

Best Ways lose weightFast andweight loss program articles very excellent

Post a Comment